Skip to main content

It's OK to Laugh...

Today's post is funny. :)  My grandmother created this many years ago for a wedding shower gift.  It is OK to laugh because it is really silly and fun.  This is the Carol Burnett Doll.  For those of you who watched that show you will remember the cleaning lady character that she played that is the basis for this.  I loved this show soooo much!  My Halloween costume a few years ago was inspired by her Scarlet O'Hara outfit.

My grandma decided to make a fun gift using various cleaning and home products for the new bride.  This 'doll' is made of a laundry basket, dust mop, broom, pillow, apron, fly swatter, toilet brush, paper towels, toilet paper, mop bucket and few dish towels.  The face is a paper/foam plate with a face drawn in marker.  To assemble it, a few safety pins and packing tape were used. 

From the bottom up is the best way to assemble her.  Using a four pack of toilet paper is best, cut it in half lengthwise and place in the basket.  Put two rolls of paper towels on top.  Place the mop handle in one 'leg' and the broom in the other at this point you may need to use the tape to secure them together towards the top.  Tape the pillow around the middle to the handles, this is the body.  With the safety pins, attach the toilet brush and swatter for arms.  Tie the apron around the pillow and then tape the face to the mop and broom, it work best if you can use the mop as hair.  Tuck one towel in the apron and pin the other around the neck as a scarf.  Top the whole thing off with a bucket.  Most of the time you will need to prop it against a wall to keep it standing and the best way to wrap it is with a lawn and leaf garbage bag. 

Get creative with this, you can use spatulas or long tongs for arms and you can also use a regular yarn style mop.  The apron can be any style and if you use one with pockets, stuff them with other helpful items.  An oven mitt can be put on one of the hands too.  Anything goes, there is no wrong or right.  Have fun and this gift could be the most talked about shower present of the day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Heartthrob Cafe Memories

The best job ever and the coolest friends that I ever had were when I worked at a restaurant called the Heartthrob Cafe.  It was in downtown St Paul, Minnesota and was so fun!  Today we had a get together to catch up and reminisce.  This is one of the many good things about facebook, finding people that you wished you never lost contact with.  So, today my post is the buttons that I made for this event.  We had 'flair' that was a lot more fun and cool than a restaurant chain that I will not name here.  We danced and sang birthday songs.  The girls wore poodle skirts and we did all of this while wearing in line skates.  We were a crazy family and honestly this was one of the best times in my life.  Ahhh...memories. In the time spent there somehow the button machine came into my possession.  In honor of our gathering, of course I had to make pins.  Here are also two murals that I painted at the restaurant.  Let me tell you they were tricky!  The murals are on glass and when

Beaded Sunflower

Remember yesterday when I said this beading thing could be addictive?  Well, here is another beaded project.  Originally the flower was supposed to be pink but the yellow seemed to work better.  For now it is attached to a headband but that may change to a brooch.  While I was photographing the subject of this post, it reminded me of a cruise that we went on.  The ship was the Carnival Conquest and until we got aboard the ship, I was unaware that the decor was all impressionist artist influenced.  Just wandering around and looking at the decor was like being in a floating gallery.  Why this post reminds me of the cruise, the gigantic sunflower in this atrium!  Here is a picture of it.  Yes, another item influenced by Van Gogh, go figure.

A few paintings

Can you believe it?  Another post this soon!  I have been making stuff, but the posting has gotten slower, sorry.  These two wooden plaques were bought at a thrift store for less than $2.00 each.  They had some premade botanical pictures on them.  I decided to just paint some random designs on them.  They are about 12 inches square and they turned out great but now what I really want to do is some more paintings in this style only much larger.  The designs would make such a statement on a larger scale.  That may require a trip to Menards or Home Depot.   Sorry for the picture quality, my camera in not working the best right now.